(Makes about 4 dinner-size servings)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil and 1 tablespoon butter
1 medium sweet onion, chopped fine
1 leek, chopped fine (white part only)
1 celery, chopped fine
1 large carrot, chopped fine
4 cups water (or fish stock if available)
allspice powder (a pinch)
2 bay leaves
1 pound yellow potatoes, cubed
1 pound salmon filet, skinned, and cut into small chunks
1 tablespoon lemon juice
3/4 cup heavy cream (or half and half)
1 tablespoon cornstarch (or more for thicker soup)
salt and pepper
fresh dill for garnish
- Go catch yourself some salmon
- Heat the oil and butter in a medium size soup pot. Add onion, leeks, celery, carrots and saute 10-15 min until soft.
- Add water (or fish stock), bay leaves and allspice. Bring to a boil.
- Add cubed potatoes. Lower heat and simmer until potatoes are done.
- Add salmon and lemon juice and simmer for abut 5 minutes.
- In a cup dissolve the corn starch powder in a small amount of cold water. Add to soup stirring quickly.
- Warm the cream in microwave and then add to the soup. Simmer 5 more minutes until thickened.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and more lemon juice if desired. Garnish with fresh dill.
Thanks to Baltica Tea Room & Gift Shop located in Downtown Port Washington!